Head of Engineering
Denver, CO, USA
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
Denver, CO - Artifact Uprising is looking for a seasoned and innovative technology leader to join our executive team. This role will lead the technology organization, establish the overall technical vision, and foster innovation at the company. This role manages engineering teams which build and maintain all of our applications, including: e-commerce, product building, photo management, marketing, supply chain integration, customer service, data management, security, and internal tooling. This role will define and develop the overall engineering culture, tools, technologies and processes used to ensure engineering excellence.
An ideal candidate will have led engineering teams in e-commerce businesses and should have strong familiarity with modern development, delivery, and architecture principles, including experience in cloud computing, machine learning, and automation. This person is comfortable managing both internal and external engineering teams, in a fast-paced and fluid business environment and has a passion for technology and delighting customers. This person creates an environment in which every team member can reach their fullest potential. They think critically and challenge themselves and others directly to create the best outcomes for the customer and the business. They balance creating strong technical foundations and moving quickly to achieve desired goals, and knows when to balance resiliency and thoroughness versus creativity and scrappiness to achieve desired goals.
This role is a member of the Artifact Uprising executive team and reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Lead with principles consistent with Artifact Uprising’s values. These include the demonstrated ability to think strategically, deliver results, build a high-performing organization, continuously grow and learn, lead across departmental boundaries, and inspire the organization to deliver remarkable customer experiences.
- Build and lead an organization that owns the development of the overall technical strategy, setting compelling directions, fostering understanding across applications, constantly looking for efficiency improvements, and leading teams to deliver results.
- Own the technology budget, including workforce planning, software cost optimization, and establishing principles and standards for evaluating make/buy decisions in both current and future states.
- Lead the engineering culture and focus on building and developing engineering talent that has the technical and business acumen to deliver compelling customer experiences.
- Set the standards for our operational excellence, including fast cycle development capabilities including Agile / Scrum, continuous integration, and automation.
- Ensure a high level of security and data protection across the organization by developing and implementing comprehensive cybersecurity strategies and tactics.
- 10+ years of experience building and managing engineering teams; hands-on experience as an engineer preferred.
- Experience working on consumer-facing organizations with a focus on e-commerce applications.
- Decisive leader who makes good decisions by listening well, pulling from experience, and appropriately balancing short term versus long-term considerations.
- Accomplished range of skills from the details to strategy, and good judgment on when to use which one. Plus, willingness to roll up your sleeves and dive deep to inspect and understand, when necessary.
- Work in a fast-paced environment and be resourceful in achieving success while prioritizing and managing multiple responsibilities.
- Ability to be creative, practical, and appropriately scrappy with resource constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, trade-offs, and opportunistic new ideas with technical, non-technical, and executive team members.
- Experience with building performant serverless applications; AWS experience preferred
- Experience in the following technologies a plus: React, serverless Node.js / TypeScript, PHP, Snowflake, mobile web/app, machine learning / automation, photo / video management
Artifact Uprising® is a Colorado-based company that creates premium quality, customizable photo goods for your digital photos. Driven by the mission to empower people to tell their stories effortlessly, beautifully and often, the company is known for elevated design and thoughtfully sourced materials. Signature products include the Layflat Album touting ultra-thick pages and foil-stamped covers, textured matte Everyday Prints, and a line of customizable frames.
Artifact Uprising was recently named on the Built In Colorado’s 2024 Best Places to Work list. We are a tight-knit team who works with some of the latest technology to delight and inspire our customers.
Industry leading health, vision and dental insurance for families (Plans cover 100% for employees and up to 95% for dependents), flexible vacation policy, Gym partnership with ClassPass, 401(k) matching plan, Year-End Company Bonus Plan.
Why Artifact Uprising?
Creative Freedom We value the creative process and look to our employees to speak into Artifact Uprising products, identity and approach – regardless of position or title. We look for driven people who demonstrate initiative to take the company to the next level.
The Working Life
We strive to create a workplace where everyone works hard but also has the flexibility and balance to enjoy life outside of the office.
It Won’t Be Boring
We are a small company with big ideas - and we recognize it will take every last one of us to reinvent the way brands approach business. We believe a good workplace empowers its team to rise to new challenges, expand their skill sets and think outside of the box. Through this, we foster a company culture that is always growing, always reaching, and always looking to see things differently.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at Artifact Uprising and what we should know about you.
Artifact Uprising is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.